So Easy.
So Cheap.
So Fucking Delicious!

Italian Lentil Pasta




Tonight we're making a "whatever I have in the cabinets and fridge" meal :)  And this is what it turned out to be:

-2 cans tomatoes (one I used is fire-roasted)
-leftover pasta (or make some, I am using ziti--make enough for your whole family) or rice
-2 bags of frozen veggies (I have one broccoli mix, and one Italian mix)
-1 can of chickpeas
-1 bag of lentils (not using the whole bag, just whatever you feel like making)
-3 small onions or 2 medium or large ones
-oil (butter, evoo, canola, veggie, whatever you have!)
-Sauce and parmesan (if you like!)
-Italian seasoning and garlic powder, to taste

I could add chicken to this, but I am choosing to save my chicken for another night.  That's why I am using lentils and chickpeas, to make up for the lack of meat.

First, clean and prepare your lentils and get them on the stove (I was going to do my pressure cooker--I love that thing!--but to find out, it's not that much time difference to make them on the stove).  Then I cut my onions and got them mostly carmelized.  Then I added my veggies and chickpeas.

From here, I mixed the veggies with the leftover pasta and added my lentils and tomatoes (not drained).  You can add any sauce you like (marinara, ranch, Italian dressing, etc.) if you find this too dry.  Also, top with some parmesan if you like!  I also like to top mine with salt and pepper as well.

A wonderful way to get rid of leftover pasta or rice and introduce lentils into your diet (which are cheap as well, and taste so good!).




Photo by Hermes Rivera on Unsplash
SHARE

About Shay Brooks

0 comments :

Post a Comment